Friday, February 6, 2009

I need to buy a decent telescope...


"I wanna name her Dottie after my wife. She's a vicious life-sucking bitch from which there is no escape." (Armageddon-1998)

However, it turns out that this Comet already has a name... "Lulin." It seems like a bit of an esoteric call sign to me...if I ever discovered a Comet, I'd pick a name that was a bit more entertaining. For example...imagine the Anchorman trying to keep a straight face while doing a story on the comet "Everybody Wang Chung Tonight."

Enjoy the discomfiture as the pert little anchorwoman grimaces each time she has to refer to the comet "Over the shoulder boulder holder from outer space."

Would I do that...could I be so immature?

Of course not. I'd negotiate a sweet deal with a major corporation and turn the naming over to them in exchange for a disgusting amount of money so that they can incorporate the name of the comet with a new line of products (I'm thinking that the cosmetic companies would be falling all over themselves to place a bid).

"Lulin?" Well, it was the finder's call...and he named it after the observatory...but I think he missed a great opportunity.