Saturday, May 2, 2009

Souter returns home, and I shall not be there to greet him...


David Souter is coming home to New Hampshire, and it’s likely he’d say that’s something he’s wanted for a long, long time.

Souter, 69, took his place on the U.S. Supreme Court in 1990 but never made any secret of his dislike for Washington, D.C., saying he had “the world’s best job in the world’s worst city.” When the court is out for the summer, he quickly heads north.
Souter lives in Weare, NH...which is where I lived for about 2 1/2 years. It's a small town not far from Concord about half way up the state.

I met him once...and he told me to stop leaving apples out for the passing horseback riders (true story). I used to leave out a basket of apples because the horse farm down the lane had a horse trail used regularly that went by my house. I got a little tired of the endless clumping and the incessant clumps on my driveway, so I started leaving apples out. Apples aren't necessarily good for horses (although they only cause a few minor digestive issues). Riders keep their charges away from them, but horses just love them to death. I figured the message to the riders would get through eventually.

Judge Souter didn't approve and told me to stop. I stopped. I mean, what the hell, he voted in favor of eminent domain and stole other folks' homes without a blink of an eye...and it made me nervous. Incidentally, not all residents of Weare are very fond of Judge Souter. A local developer attempted to apply the Supreme Court decision ( "Kelo vs. City of New London" ) to Souter's own farm.

On Monday June 27, Logan Darrow Clements, faxed a request to Chip Meany the code enforcement officer of the Towne of Weare, New Hampshire seeking to start the application process to build a hotel on 34 Cilley Hill Road. This is the present location of Mr. Souter's home.

Clements, CEO of Freestar Media, LLC, points out that the City of Weare will certainly gain greater tax revenue and economic benefits with a hotel on 34 Cilley Hill Road than allowing Mr. Souter to own the land.

The proposed development, called "The Lost Liberty Hotel" will feature the "Just Desserts Café" and include a museum, open to the public, featuring a permanent exhibit on the loss of freedom in America. Instead of a Gideon's Bible each guest will receive a free copy of Ayn Rand's novel "Atlas Shrugged."
I'm disappointed that it never went through. It would have been amusing...and I would have had a place to grab a beer walking distance from my abode.