Saturday, November 22, 2008

One cheek per seat...



"The Supreme Court of Canada has upheld a regulatory ruling requiring airlines to offer a free extra seat to certain disabled and obese people.

In a decision released without comment Thursday, Canada's top court rejected an application by Air Canada and WestJet for permission to appeal a Canadian Transportation Agency ruling issued earlier this year."
_____
I've never bought the whole "obesity is a disability" schtick. I'm tall, but I don't file suit to have the seat taken out in front of me on a flight. I don't require my neighbors to trim the tree limbs a little higher. I don't require car companies to assure that all vehicles accommodate 6'6"...and believe me...they don't.

Short of cutting my legs off below the knees...I have no control over my height. The obese? Do they have recourse besides, you know, requiring the privately owned businesses to adjust to their idiosyncratic behavior flaws?

This appears to be another such situation where the "victim" needs to practice abstinence.