Wednesday, December 24, 2008

How much is that Pitcher in the window?


I love baseball. I played it as a pipsqueak. I played it in high school. I played it in college, and went on to play around with the idea of going pro. I was a 6'6" pitcher with good velocity and half a brain on the mound. I had a few offers to try out for a professional organization...and one offer on the table.

Instead...I pursued a more...conventional career. You can't see it, but I'm kicking myself right now:

In a flurry of 11th-hour negotiations yesterday, Yankees GM Brian Cashman not only added another notch to his belt by landing Mark Teixeira, he used that belt to swat Red Sox Nation square across the fanny.

Teixeira agreed to a contract that will pay him $180 million over the next eight seasons, making it a cool $423.5 million spent by the YanksNew York Yankees on CC Sabathia, A.J. Burnett and Teixeira alone this offseason. Only a weak economy has apparently kept the Yankees from making a serious financial splash.

With Alex Rodriguez ($275 million), Derek JeterDerek Jeter ($189 million), Teixeira and Sabathia ($161 million), the Yankees hold the four largest contracts in baseball.
I work in NYC with a bunch of Met fans (yes...they are still bold enough to admit it). They are all up in arms today at the way the 'Bronx Bombers' are shelling out all the cash to upgrade their team. You hear the usual..."The Skanks are buying a title." Or you hear..."It's embarrassing...disgusting."

I have no problem with the Yankees going after all that 'free' agent talent. I think it puts way more pressure on their team to win. Also, baseball, like it or not, has not been a game for a long time. It is a business with managers, employees and owners just like every other.

I, personally,like the fact that the Yankees are loading up with high priced talent. That way, its going to hurt all the more when the PHILLIES knock the crap out of them in next year's World Series. That is, provided the Yankees get past the Rays (who have a fraction of the salaries).

GO PHILS!!!!!