Sunday, March 15, 2009

'Equality' means what?


Here's today's conundrum...

How exactly can an organization named "Equality Advocates Pennsylvania" champion a legislative Bill that provides special preference to Gays and Lesbians?

Victory! BREAKING- Bill to Prohibit LGBT Discrimination Passes State Government Committee!
Well...the answer is simple. It is not, and never was about 'equality.' It is...and will ever be about something else entirely. It is about attention, playing the perceived victim, remaining relevant and pursuit of the all important ultimate chalice..." being mainstream." Sometimes, it is even about favortism.

Now, to avoid the regular nasty emails that seem to becoming more and more commonplace these days...I will provide the latent preface that I have no qualms with gay marriage. In fact, I don't really have an opinion on the issue. Simply put, I could care less what your sexual orientation might be. I do, however, take issue with those who think that it's important that I know. I'm talking about the "Pride Rides" and the "Pride Parades"...and just about any other event, organization, or highlighter that makes a point to outline differences while lecturing on "equality." If you want to be treated like everyone else, as exclaimed...you might consider toning down the lectures centering on what you perceive to be bias and holding off on that special legislation that seems to imply that I'm not capable avoiding the bigotry. I kind of take issue on such implied accusations.

So, essentially, the point of today's conundrum is that "Equality Advocates Pennsylvania" should have kept their original name..."Center for Lesbian & Gay Civil Rights." Their current sobriquet is disingenuous.