Sunday, January 18, 2009

The usual caliber...


As we were driving back from the airport last night a funny feeling came over me. Bear with me as I offer up a poor analogy.

I'm an embarrassingly huge fan of 90s grunge, but I wasn't living in Seattle when it hit. Sometimes I get a little humbled when I pause to remember I walk the same streets as, say, Kurt and Courtney. I can't help but think, "This is it. This is where it all happened."

The same feeling hit me last night: this, D.C., is where it all happens. I can feel it now. I'm walking amongst history. And I'm about to see history.
I get the same feeling walking around the shopping mall. Then again...I'm a shameless captitalist...But, the contributer to this Seattle Times blog is...impressed with suicidal musicians, their talentless hangers-on wives, and the opinion that the elitists power-grabbers of Washington are...more important than the "great unwashed" who built this country and are straining at the moment to hold it together while the elitists of Washington do everything they can to make it more difficult.

The most exciting part of the day was when John Mellencamp and U2 did their sound checks at the Lincoln Memorial. The second most exciting part of the day was when our Little Hotties Hand Warmers kicked in, our fingers would have fallen off without them. I'm tempted to duct tape several to my face for Tuesday, it's really really cold.
Hmmmm...Smithsonian, Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, White House, Capitol Building, The Brickseller (Dupont Circle)...? Nope....just two musicians doing sound checks (which in my opinion...they have been doing since the early 90's).